News and Events
News & Events
- Paola Bassino will be presenting a paper entitled The Tradition of the Contest between Homer and Hesiod on 11th September 2015 at the international conference Contests of Speech and Song, St Anne’s College, Oxford.
- There will be a panel entitled Living Poets: Renaissance Visions of Ancient Authors at the annual Renaissance Society of America meeting on 26-28th March 2015.
- An exhibition entitled Face-to-Face Encounters with Ancient Authors: Portraits in Libraries is opening on 29th January 2015 at the History of the Book Gallery and Cosin's Library at Durham Palace Green Library.
- Erika Taretto will be presenting a paper entitled Sites of Memory and Ancient Reception of Poets: Archilochos on Paros at the 146th Annual Meeting of the Society for Classical Studies, January 8-11, 2015, New Orleans, LA.
- Nora Goldschmidt will be presenting a paper entitled Authoring Virgil on 6th December 2014 at the Virgil Society, Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU.
- Nicholas Freer will be presenting a paper entitled Epicureanism and Vergil's Carthage Episode (Aeneid 1 and 4) on 19th November 2014, 11.30am, at the Classics and Ancient History Work-in-Progress Seminar, Palace Green 20, Durham University.
- There will be an event Face-to-Face Encounters with Ancient Authors: Portraits in Libraries on 17th-23rd November 2014, 2-4pm, at Cosin's Library, Palace Green, Durham.
- Barbara Graziosi will be presenting a paper entitled Homeros Kosmopolites: Homer, Citizen of the World on 15th November 2014 at the conference Odysseus Visiting the Capitals of Europe at the Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana.
- The international conference Tombs of the Poets: Between Text and Material Culture will be held at Durham University on 12th-14th September 2014.
- There will be a free event Who Was Homer? featuring award-winning author Gillian Cross on 28th June 2014, 12-4pm, in the Pemberton Building, Palace Green, Durham.
- Francesca Richards has been awarded a grant from the Classical Association for schools workshops and public events in June 2014.
News & Events
- Barbara Graziosi presented a paper entitled ‘The Book of Songs and Homer Compared’ at Beijing University on 14-15 April 2014.
- Verity Platt gave a paper on ‘The Greek Artist in the Roman Imagination’ at the Institute of Classical Studies, London on 5th March 2014.
- Nora Goldschmidt and Barbara Graziosi presented a panel at the American Philological Association Annual Meeting on 4th January 2014, entitled ‘Tombs of the Poets: The Material Reception of Ancient Literature’
- Nora Goldschmidt's new book, Shaggy Crowns: Ennius’ Annales and Virgil’s Aeneid, has been published by OUP.
- Francesca Richards presented a paper entitled ‘The Spennymoor Odyssey’ at Corpus Christi, Oxford on 30th November 2013 as part of the Classics in Communities conference.
- Nora Goldschmidt gave a paper entitled ‘Epic Examples: Ennius and Virgil’ at the University of St Andrews on 12 October 2013.
- Nora Goldschmidt presented a paper entitled ‘Reading the ‘Implied Author’ in Lucretius’ De rerum natura’ at the University of Edinburgh on 30 September - 1 October 2013.
- Nicholas Freer, Nora Goldschmidt, and Andrew Laird gave papers on representations of Virgil at the University of Cambridge on 5-7 September 2013.
- Barbara Graziosi spoke about Homer in the European imagination at the University of Uppsala on 16 June 2013.
- On 13 April 2013 Barbara Graziosi presented the Living Poets project as part of the festival Classici Contro in the Teatro Olimpico and the Palazzo Leoni Montanari, Vicenza. For further information, photographs, and media coverage, see http://lettere2.unive.it/flgreca/CCRSt.htm
- Nick White’s article “Training Tesseract for Ancient Greek OCR” has been published in Eutypon 28-29.
- Barbara Graziosi delivered a lecture on Petrarch’s sense of time (and Walcott’s) at the Institute of Advanced Study, on 18 February 2013, 1 pm.